Sunday, February 27, 2005

Crocheting scarves

I spent hours today on a wip in one of my closets. This turned out to be the beginning of a scarf using Cleckheaton Flowerdale which is 50% mohair, 30% wool, 20% nylon. I had bought it 3 years ago in Sydney on sale and the color is a bit bright but it is a lovely soft yarn nice to work with. So I had started doing a swatch in the regular Tunisan or Afghan stitch but on measuring today I found the width to be 8" which is great for a scarf so I kept on with it. I kept searching for a decent hook. The best I had was a Boye afghan hook in the smaller length size of G. I would have preferred F for this yarn but my collection just didn't have it. Instead I found several really small long ones, a few with hooks at both ends, one that had a hook and a regular knitting needle tip at the other end and also a large wooden one.
Looking at this scarf I am possessed with the idea of adding beads because this stitch takes embroidery of all kinds very well so why not try beads?

No comments: