Friday, January 14, 2005

aran with beads

I don't care to post without photos so that's why there's been a timelapse although I've been busy finishing some wips. Also fighting off a cold. Finally after 3 weeks, I've decided to take some antibiotics. Enough already!
Anyway, this aran ran into lots of problems. It's the Szabo Teddy and I used Hayfield traditional pure wool dk. Probably been discontinued for years by now. The pattern gave me problems as I didn't understand the instructions when it came to doing the sleeves. I also didn't want to knit the body in the round as I prefer to knit arans back and forth. I also didn't care for the pattern on the sides so I changed it to rev st st which was a major mistake when I reached the sleeves. I was forced to do practically all purling on both sleeves which is why it took forever to finish it.
But it fits and feels nice so why not add some pearl beads? Took me some time to figure out how to do it as with all my new books on beading I wanted to try out various ways. But in the end I went back to sewing thread with a sharp needle and just went up the line sewing on each bead by itself. I bought the beads in Hongkong.
a word on bobbles: the bobbles in this pattern were done as written but not all of them came through to the right side so I took yarn and needle and did a sort of daisy stitch to strangle each one and then tied it down on the rev side. Now all the bobbles are correct.

No comments: